Georgia Presidential election 2018 Results Voting Live
Georgia Presidential election Dates 2018
Georgia Presidential election Date: 28 October 2018
Presidential elections will be held in Georgia in October 2018, the seventh presidential elections since the country's restoration of independence from the Soviet Union in 1991. The last elections in October 2013 resulted in a victory for Giorgi Margvelashvili, a candidate for the Georgian Dream coalition.
Following amendments to the constitution in 2017, the 2018 elections will be the last direct presidential vote; after 2018 presidents will be elected by the 300-member College of Electors. In view of these changes, the term of office of the President to be elected in 2018 will have a term of six years.
Georgia Presidential election Voting Live 2018
1. Incumbent President Margvelashvili has declined to disclose his intention on whether to run again; Davit Usupashvili, the former chairman of the Parliament of Georgia, did not rule out a run for President in 2018.
2. Incumbent Republican Governor Nathan Deal is term-limited and cannot seek re-election to a third consecutive term. House Minority Leader for the Georgia General Assembly and Democrat Stacey Abrams is running for governor. Incumbent Republican Lieutenant Governor Casey Cagle is running for governor.
The electoral system of Georgia
Elections in Georgia gives information on elections and election results in Georgia. An election is a process in which a vote is held to elect candidates to an office. It is the mechanism by which a democracy fills elective offices in the legislature, and sometimes the executive and judiciary, and in which electorates choose local government officials.
Georgia elects on national level a head of state – the president – and a legislature. The president is elected for a five-year term by the people. The Parliament of Georgia has 150 members, elected for a four-year term, 77 seats by proportional representation and 73 in single-seat constituencies.
Candidates for Presidential election
Georgia Parties and leaders
- Georgian Dream-Democratic Georgia
- Conservative Party of Georgia
- Industry Will Save Georgia
- Republican Party of Georgia
- Our Georgia – Free Democrats
Georgia past election results
|Total 56.19% turnout; 3,527,964 eligible voters||1,982,318||100.0|