Iceland parliamentary election 2016 Result Votes Candidates Schedule Dates Opinion Poll Political Party, Icelandic Althing parliamentary election Result 2016, 2016 Icelandic parliamentary elections dates result
Iceland parliamentary elections were held on 29th October 2016.
Final Results 2016
Icelandic parliamentary election Results 2016
|Social Democratic Alliance||10,893||5.74||3||–6|
|People's Front of Iceland||575||0.30||0||0|
|Icelandic National Front||303||0.16||0||New|
Live Voting Updates:
- The next Voting started at 9 am in the morning and is expected to go on till 10 PM night.
- Latest Opinion polls are showing that Pirate Party could topple the current government. See latest opinion polls here Latest Opinion Poll Showing Pirate Party wining
The first results of the vote counts are expected at around 10 pm (GMT) on Saturday. The final vote count is expected on the morning of Sunday October 30th.
The next Icelandic parliamentary elections were set to be held on or before 27 April 2017, but are expected to take place on 29 October 2016. The ruling coalition announced an early election would be held following the 2016 Icelandic anti-government protests earlier in the year.
25 Oct 16: Opinion Poll says Iceland’s Pirate Party will win– One in five Icelanders favor the Pirate Party, according to an online opinion poll run by the Social Science Research Institute at the University of Iceland, the Iceland Monitor reports…Read More
- Iceland Presidential Election Results 2016
- Iceland Parliament election Result 2009 Constituency Result Candidates Opinion poll
- Iceland Parliament election Result 2013 Constituency Result Candidates Opinion poll
The 63 members of the Althing are elected using closed list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies of 8 to 13 seats.Of the 63 seats, 54 are elected using constituency results and determined using the d'Hondt method. The remaining nine supplementary seats are awarded to parties that crossed the 5% national electoral threshold in order to give them a total number of seats equivalent to their national share of the vote.
- Elections for Parliament were last held on 27 April 2013. In the last elections, the Independence Party and the Progressive Party each won 19 seats, the Social Democratic Alliance won 9, the Left-Green Movement won 7, Bright Future won 6 and the Pirate Party won 3.
Main parties in the election:
Independence Party/Sjálfstæðisflokkurinn – Leader: Bjarni BENEDIKTSSON
- Seats won in last election: 19
Pirate Party/Píratar – Leader: Birgitta JÓNSDÓTTIR
- Seats won in last election: 3
Left-Green Movement/Vinstrihreyfingin – Grænt Framboð – Leader: Katrín JAKOBSDÓTTIR
- Seats won in last election: 7
Regeneration Party/Viðreisn – Leader: Benedikt JÓHANNESSON
- Seats won in last election: 0
Social Democratic Alliance/Samfylkingin – Leader: Oddný Guðbjörg HARÐARDÓTTIR
- Seats won in last election: 9
Progressive Party/Framsóknarflokkurinn – Leader: Sigurður Ingi JÓHANNSSON
- Seats won in last election: 19
Bright Future/Björt Framtíð – Leader: Óttarr PROPPÉ
- Seats won in last election: 6
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 331,918 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 237,957 (2013)
· Female Population: 165,575 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Iceland a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (24 July 1980)
· Has Iceland ratified CEDAW: Yes (18 June 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 26 (41.27%)
· Human Development Index Position: 16
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A