Nicaragua Presidential election results 2016 winner votes, Daniel Ortega ,Presidential Result of Nicaragua, Nicaraguan Assembly Election result 2016, Nicaragua Presidential election results 2016 Party wise Candidates Votes
- Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega has won a third consecutive term in office.
- Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega is on track to win a fourth term following elections on Sunday — this time with his wife as his running mate.
- With two-thirds of the votes counted, the left-wing leader had secured an irreversible lead with 72%, election officials said.
- His closest rival, centre-right candidate Maximino Rodriguez, only had 14.2% of the vote.
Mr Ortega had been widely expected to win both due to the popularity of his social programmes and because he faced no obvious political challenger.
A former left-wing rebel, Mr Ortega has led Nicaragua through a period of economic stability which has made him popular with Nicaragua's business sector and foreign investors.
Who is Daniel Ortega?
- Born in 1946, the son of a shoemaker
- Joined the Sandinista National Liberation Front (FSLN) as a teenager
- 1984: Elected president
- 2006: Wins his second presidential election
- 2011: Wins a third term
- 2016: Wins a fourth presidential election, securing his third consecutive term in office