Austria arrests nine Iraqis migrant over gang rape of German woman, Austria Election Schedule Date 2016 , Austrian Presidential Elections , Austrian Presidential Re elections 2016 date declared
Austria arrests nine Iraqis migrant over gang rape of German woman, Austria Election Schedule Date , Austrian Presidential Elections , Austrian Presidential Re elections 2016 date declared
AUSTRIA will re-run its presidential election on October 2 – the same day Hungary holds a referendum on the European Union’s mandatory migrant quotas.
- Nine Iraqi asylum seekers have been arrested on suspicion of gang rape
- Comes after a German woman was attacked in Vienna on New Year's Day
- She was taken from train station to apartment where she was assaulted
- Woman believes she was drugged as she can't remember going to the apartment
- Police in Vienna confirmed that the men aged between 21 and 47 were detained and all were either granted asylum in Austria or applying for it.
- Officers are now using DNA evidence and video surveillance to build their case.
- All nine of the men deny the accusations.
Nine Iraqi refugees have been arrested in Austria on suspicion of gang-raping a 28-year-old German woman in a case that could ignite debate of immigration and crime ahead of this Autumn’s presidential election re-run.
The arrest of the nine Iraqis, all either asylum seekers or recently granted asylum, comes as Austria’s anti-immigrant Freedom Party seeks to over-turn the result of June’s presidential election after mounting a successful legal challenge to pave the way for a re-run on October 2.
The arrests were made over the weekend, police confirmed, after DNA evidence and CCTV camera footage was used to build a case against the nine asylum seekers.